Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Am I getting anti-cyber-social?

“I simply cannot face another Facebook and need a space from MySpace” – this is a quote I came across some time ago and, at that time, it described very well my feelings towards technology…Now, after 12 weeks of 2.0 learning experience I have changed my mind. I am convinced that these vehicles of social networking can be used as attractive service points for our clients, or maybe our Guests, if we follow a very heart-warming example of one of the US libraries visited by Ellen – I am writing this after Reference@the Metcalfe meeting…
I will definitely consider using social networking on-line for promotions, marketing, providing ‘ready reference’ on demand and for interaction with local communities. The main reason behind this would be, of course, to convince as many people as possible that the librarians are great at providing information and that everyone is welcome to not only ‘join up’, but also ‘join in’ and become an active part of a social network.
I must confess that I am not ready for the Second Life Library Project yet as I am still very busy and quite happy with my present life and my real library but who knows…Maybe in a distant future my avatar will haunt secret nooks and crannies of the Library Island.
Anyway, it was such a wonderful journey and although I have experienced some ‘technological’ ups and downs as well as a couple anxiety attacks along the lines: “I do not understand this” or “That is too complicated” here I am completing week 12 and having this ‘warm, fuzzy’ feeling which indicates that it was really good.
Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I agree Annetta we can catch lots of people especially young ones through social networking. I have often wondered why we think that kids go to our website for information about programs they do not know they need or want. Social networking sites seem to be a geat tool for us to use.

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for your positive thoughts on social networking and libraries. Like you, though, I'm focusing on my First Life, first!
Great to hear you enjoyed the program and congratulations on reaching the end of the journey.
Kathleen A.