Friday, May 2, 2008

Joy & challenge of on-line reference.

“Slamming the boards” for me will be very much like extension of AskNow service in which I participate every week. I enjoy the challenge and value direct, almost personal contact with clients from all over Australia. Most of the queries I get are form school kids and easy to answer but every now and then I come across a real ‘gem’ and get ‘adrenaline rush’ while looking for the best and most effective site or database.
As to the good, old reference interview…I still try to find out as much as possible about the topic my clients are interested in and although, as Jenny Yan observed in her comment, people are less patient and expect answers straight away, I strongly believe that it pays back to know what exactly they are looking for.
There is one more thing I like about “slamming the board” – The Answer Board Librarians wiki and its exemplary answers. It is such a good example of social searching knowledge market! From time to time I just browse through the best answers and ‘explore’ some of the links used by librarians adding these to my AskNow store and then utilizing these during the session.
Annetta.

No comments: